This time on my new blog, I’ve the honor to present:
Synapse 0.2.6 – Codename: Aspartate
Forgot what Synapse is?
Synapse is a semantic launcher written in Vala that you can use to start applications as well as find and access relevant documents and files by making use of the Zeitgeist engine.
Just press <Ctrl+Space> on your keyboard, and Synapse will show up; then you can type to search things: applications, documents, web pages you visited, and more and more stuff
The goal of this application is to “find what you do”, for example, you can simply press the down arrow (after summoning the application) to see recent activities!
What you see in the screenshot is a new theme: Do-ish (yes yes, it’s like Gnome Do)!
Let’s talk about the changelog:
- New SSH plugin: fast connect to your preferite hosts! Thank you ~antono!
- Bumped Vala version requirement to >= 0.12
- Click, Click, and also Scroll! (for mouse-lovers)
- now you can click an item in the list to select it, or double-click to execute
- you can also click on categories
- and if you love the mouse wheel, just try to scroll on the list
- Drag&Drop: from now on you can Drag&Drop your files from Synapse window to any other window
- Focus behavior changed: now Synapse will stay on top
So if you launch a slow program and in the meantime reopen Synapse, the program will not steal the foucs!
This way you can enjoy “Shift+Enter” to execute an item while keeping Synapse open.
- User interface speedups
- Talking about keyboard shortcut, you can now customize all key bindings from the Settings window
- KDE (Kwin) compatibility
- Minor tweaks of the relevancy computation
- A good number of bug fixes
Like ~mhr3 said:
If you like Synapse, you can help out by writing plugin descriptions on our wiki, just click the help button in Synapse’s preferences window (in the plugin tab) and you’ll be taken to a wiki page (most likely empty right now) where all other users will then be able to read this.
You can find the tarball here.
Ubuntu users can install Synapse from our stable PPA (ppa:synapse-core/ppa)!
On Natty you’ll find only Synapse 0.2.4.2 so you should really add this PPA
Our Bleeding Edge PPA users will find this release of Synapse tomorrow (no need to add the stable ppa)!
So, do you like these new features?
Subscribe to the RSS feed to keep up with Synapse!
Also I’ll publish some polls in the future to ask on your opinions
Do you want the dark theme?
Just put this file into ~/.config/synapse